Search this blog and its links

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Syllabus and first email

 Syllabus is here.
First email here below:

Greetings all!: here is a re-send of what I wrote last month, and the final syllabus attached.  See you soon.  Note: One more extra credit assignment challenge.  You can work together on this one.  If by the end of the first class, one person from class can stand and announce the seven intentional jokes on the syllabus, everyone gets extra cred (:
 
Greetings class:
 
It's an honor to be teaching the Min 357 Christian Ministry and Leadership class you are enrolled in this spring.  I find this an amazing and unique class that Quintin Kinnison has created and strengthened over the years, and I am delighted to be teaching it while he is on sabbatical.
 
Before we get to the bottom line, a little about me.  I became a Christian as  a result of attending FPU in the 80's.  In fact, my JCC teacher, Leslie Mark, is 90 and still visits campus once in awhile!  I also met a beautiful student while at FPU, the former Sonya Kriegbaum.  We have been married 30 years, and have two children. Some of you know one of my kids--Tim Wainscott-who was a freshman 2011-12, and may return to campus next year.
I have been a pastor since my senior year at FPU (1986), and have been teaching on all campuses of FPU since 2008.  I don't think I had any of you in JCC 2011-2102, but I taught many sessions then. I mostly teach in Degree Completion.   Take a look at our common facebook friends, if you want to find out from my former students what kind of teacher I am (:   You can click "about me" at the bottom of this email to learn more.
As I said, the Min 357 class is usually surprisingly enjoyable.  I realize that since it is GE, not all of you are looking at leadership or ministry in your future, and some may not even be Christian. That's totally OK!
 
Since this is Quintin's class, I will be teaching it using his outline and texts. I have attached his syllabus from last year; mine will be nearly identical except for the dates, etc.
 
Here is the booklist.
 First, two qualifiers:
1)The class utilizes the Strengths Finder 2.0 assessment.
I think most, if not all of you, have taken this assessment inventory already as part of your FPU program.
You'll see by the syllabus that taking the inventory online is required the first week of class.  You do not need to pay to retake it if have your results.  Also note that one of our books is Strengths-Based Leadership.  If you buy that book new, it has a one-time-only  access code to take the inventory at no extra cost.  So if you have not taken the inventory, either buy a new version of that book, or be prepared to pay $15 to take the inventory
online  at strengths.gallup.com (Since the access codes are only good once, it almost certain that anu used copies of the books will have expired codes).
2)The Strengths-Based Leadership  book also has an access code to receive a Leadership Guide based on your results. This should be helpful,  and recommended, but it is not officially required for the class .  (We will cover this material in class). So you can weigh that in choosing a new or used book.
 
Required and Supplementary Materials
  • Rath, Tom and Barry Conchie. Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow. New York: Gallup Organization, 2008.
  • Linsky, Martin & Ronald Heifetz, Leadership on the Line. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
  • McIntosh, Gary L. and Samuel D. Rima, Sr., Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2007.
  • Edwards, Gene. A Tale of Three Kings: A Study in Brokenness. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale, 1992.
  • Nouwen, Henri. In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership. New York: Crossroad, 1989. (for review)
Other short readings (book chapters or articles) may be assigned periodically. These will be handed out in class. All readings are to be completed before the class in which they will be used.

Recommended and Texts for Review (students will choose one to review; see assignments):
  • Cathy, S.Truett  & Ken Blanchard. The Generosity Factor: Discover the Joy of Giving Your Time, Talent, and Treasure. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002. (for review)
  • Stahl-Wert, John and Ken Jennings, The Serving Leader. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 2003. (for review)
 
 Did someone say extra credit? (:  Any student who gives the correct answer to the following question on the first day of class receives extra credit,  Of course, the challenge is how to find the answer (it shouldn't be hard):
What "prank" did I (your teacher) participate in while a student at FPU that could've gotten me kicked out?
 
Feel free to be in touch.  My cell is 974.2508, and links to my social media and blog are below
 
-daveAbout me: about.me/davewainscott


No comments:

Post a Comment